Life! Crazy, wonderful life.

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Life has happened, things have changed. I'm not writing picture books (at the moment, at least-- Never say never!). I wasn't writing at all, except the occasional journaling for quite a while. In October of 2018, I read a novel I loved so much that when I finished it, I started over and read it again. I've only done this a few times in my life. It was As Waters Gone By by Cynthia Ruchti.

I've tried to write a novel before, but never got past writing a few short stories and a few random scenes that never turned into anything. It took me a while, but in January 2019, things started clicking together. I had a genre I liked. I had an idea germinating. I started to WRITE. I put it all in caps because for the first time I felt like I was going to finish the novel.

I had one great day of writing. Day two was a nonevent. Writing sounds so easy, but in actual practice, it's so hard. My story idea wasn't working. I didn't know what to write. All I had was a character and no plan for what might happen. I did some soul searching and some praying. I realized my story needed trouble to make it into something worth reading. And writing for that matter.

This is hard for me. I don't want people, even imaginary people to have problems. But in life we have difficulties, and while they aren't pleasant, they can be agents of growth if we allow them to be. "And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope." (New King James Version Romans 5:3-4)

Anyway, I will skip ahead to say, I've finished a draft of that novel and have started on a second and third book. I have a ways to go yet, but I hope to be published someday.

I was fortunate enough to meet a book coach, Sam Tyler. Her coaching was so helpful. If you're struggling with your writing or even if you think you're ready to submit (like I did, doh!) you should hire her. I have work to do on my first novel before submitting, but I now have the tools to do it!

I'll be posting ideas and hints that I find helpful as I progress on my writing journey. Happy writing and happy reading!

No comments :