Reunion Part 5 - Short story

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

***To start from the beginning of the story, click here***

Waking up some time later because of the change in motion, I realized that we were almost to their house. I sat up and pushed back my long hair. A few minutes later we pulled into my uncle’s driveway.

My mom’s “Lily, are you coming?” dragged me back. I got slowly out of the car and walked around to get my bags. Looking expectantly towards the house, I waited, but no one came out.

Swallowing hard, I grabbed my bags and hung back to be the last to walk up to the house. As we approached the door, it swung open.

My uncle walked out, a big smile lighting his face.

“Hey, you finally made it,” he boomed in a voice that had been a part of my life for as long as I could remember. He gave each of us a hug. Even as he hugged me I kept an eye out for whomever else might come out.

“Come on in,” he instructed, holding the door open for us, “the kids went over to their grandma’s house. They won’t be back for a while.”

Looking over at me my uncle said musingly, “You two girls used to wait around the house all day until the other one of you got there. It was as if you couldn’t bear to waste a minute of your time together.”

I nodded and looked away.

My face must have shown my disappointment because my mom came over and squeezed my shoulders and smiled at me. Smiling weakly back at her, I put my arms around her and give her a squeeze. Then pulling away I followed Joe into the house.

*To be continued, click here to read Part 6.**

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

gosh, you keep a reader hanging! i can't wait to find out if they will even like each other [call me a pessimistic haha]